All new patients will undergo a comprehensive psychiatric evaluation where the need for psychiatric medications will be discussed and past treatments reviewed. Dr. Mathews is Board Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) and typical services often include:
- Determining the need for medications and/or alternative treatments
- Utilizing & reviewing evidence-based practice standards for any given treatment with risks, benefits, and alternatives discussed
- Switching, tapering, and discontinuing other medications if needed
- Evaluation of pertinent drug-to-drug interactions with your overall medication regiment
- Consideration and testing of underlying medical illnesses that may be affecting your mental health
Generally, Dr. Mathews prefers to provide medication management along with concurrent therapy services to have better context of his patient's life story and challenges. This context will allow him to spend more time and optimally prescribe medications (or suggest alternatives) versus reviewing the presence of symptoms in a superficial and "checkbox" manner.
Common conditions that can be treated include, but are not limited to:
- Major Depressive Disorder / "Clinical Depression"
- Bipolar Disorder
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Post-Partum Depression
- Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)